Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Jay Z and Oasis

I recently read an article on msn about Noel Gallengher of Oasis making the comment that hiphop, in particular Jay-Z, should not be included at Glastonbury. I wanted to respond not because I am a particular fan of Jay-Z but because I felt offended by the comments as a member of true hip hop culture. I guess it's not really shocking because rockers have had a history of overlooking and not fully respecting hip hop. I can remember all of the controversy over wanting to be paid for sampling. It's disappointing because I thought that at least in Europe, there was a bigger appreciation for the genius of true hip hop culture.

Honestly, I accidentally bumped into the article and didn't know much about Gallengher, Oasis or Glastonbury. Even more disappointing is that all of the (albeit 2 songs) that I have been introduced to through this controversy are great. Can I like music by artists who don't appreciate my culture?

Yeah.

Never narrow minded,
Alegna

1 comment:

sammyy said...

This is a toughie and I don't know what you're going to decide but I'm love Oasis and you're welcome to my CD's or IPod anytime.

J'Z's response seems to be a hot rock/rap remix I was definitely rockin out to on my way back from Atlantic City.

You have to forgive the English, they know not what they say