Tuesday, August 19, 2008

On Another Tangently Related Piece--Beyonce

Recently, I have been thinking about dying my hair and going a little lighter and redder. Sometimes it takes me a minute to decide on semi-permanent moves like this one. Just as I was about to make that appointment, I bump into a discussion at racialicious about Loreal's ad featuring a washed-out Beyonce. I have to say this made me rethink. Why Beyonce, her mother, her handlers or even the people at Loreal would go forward with this vampirish ad is incomprehensible to me. But, there is something about the psychology we all live with about appreciating only certain features. Makes me want to check myself. Am I buying in? Or is it really about the grey and wanting a change? I'm still thinking this one through.


Maybe I'll go darker. What do you think?

Never narrow minded,
Alegna

2 comments:

sammyy said...

I say dye on. I mean its semi-permanent. Then if you decide against it go darker. Again, its semi-permanent.

Your hair is a reflection and extension of you, and your character is energetic and fun. Why not let your hair reflect that?
You're a looooonnnnng ways away from a bleached out Beyonce.

fullsheet said...

Hair dying...an emphatic Now Cipher!!...Why do you concern yourselves with such things as gray hair or changing the color to a different color as women?...Don't you feel it just puts you in the same category as those "handlers"(what is she a lion?)that decided beyonce should go lighter...In order to reflec one's personality one should reflect it through action as opposed to appearance...Such an illusory concepts as image is far too fleeting to use as a foundation...as well they are by nature relative in perception.